Contrary to popular belief, chivalry is indeed very much alive my friends! While this does not mean that some guys will never learn the caveat of merits and values that go hand-in-hand with being chivalrous, for certain there are we men who do. However, I am sure that you can all agree with me, for the most part, that we quite often come across people who have no manners whatsoever. Whenever I see this great lacking in social aperture it does make me wonder how such persons were raised. It makes me ponder if they are naturally rude. It also begs to ask the question: Did their significant other settle for less, or did this person just lose their manners and sense of caring and wellbeing for those other than themselves over time? In any case, there are some ways that we can all be more chivalrous. And being chivalrous is also manly, for all of you guys out there reading this. To better kick start your chivalry engine—here are five chivalrous musts that all guys should adhere to.
- Always Open Doors: This goes without saying. Car doors, the house door, doors to the restaurant. No matter where you are, opening doors for others is courteous and respectful. No matter if they are the elderly or your significant other. Open that damn door already!
- Burping in Public and Belching Contests Are Immature: Keep all of your bodily gasses masked. Nobody wants to hear or smell them, including your partner. That’s what bathrooms are made for. If you think its hilarious to belch at them, you probably will never learn. And, how romantic, to boot!
- Roses Win Over Hearts: Want to be really romantic for your lady? Try buying flowers for her at least once per month. Women love flowers, men. Oh you are short on cash? Nice try! The local grocery store sells single roses and by the dozen for very cheap hotshot.
- Proper Table Etiquette is Admirable: The kind words of your mother come to mind here. Chew with your freaking mouth closed. Keep your elbows off the table. Don’t shout. Your bread plate is to your left. There is such a thing as a salad fork and a dinner fork. Enough said!
- Put Others Before Yourself: Wow, this one should really be at the top of the list. Chivalry embodies others coming first. Following this mantra does come around full circle, and ends up being in your favor in the end. For those who don’t believe so, you are a self-centered, self-loving narcissist. Yeah, I went there!