This has so far been a very warm summer. Humidity levels are high and tempers are higher. People are doing everything that they can do to stay cool. Dealing with the heat takes on a whole new meaning when it comes to this year’s record temperatures and humidity levels. Here are some helpful hints for how to deal with the weather without losing your cool.
1. Dress cool. I don’t mean to dress what is hip or to wear skimpy outfits, but simply dress appropriately for the weather. Wear clothing that is loose and light weight. Do not wear the over jackets if you do not have to. Skip the long sleeves for a shorter sleeve shirt if possible. Do not out looking like a slob, but do try to be comfortable.
2. Tank tops look great when they have a little bit embellishment. This is true for women only. Men, do not embellish you tanks and say that this blog told you to. Please. Women, a little ruffle on the tank top or a fancy collar goes a long way to make a plain tank top fancy and work or dinner appropriate.
3. Shorts are not un-appropriate when dealing with this weather. If you are going to work, clear it with your boss or the company rule book before you wear shorts, but in most cases a pair of khaki shorts is acceptable. Just make sure that the shorts are long enough. The shorts should not come much past the knee for both men and women. No hot-pants please. They do not look good on anyone.
4. Cheap flip flops are not a good way to keep your feet cool. Not only do they look bad, but they are bad for your feet. Instead, consider a fancier slide or sandal that is more appropriate for adults. Wear shoes that fit you for your comfort. Wear socks with your shoes if appropriate. Skipping socks in athletic shoes may seem like a good way to keep your feet cool, but instead you will find that your feet sweat more and are more uncomfortable.
5. Stay hydrated for your comfort and health. It may seem almost unfashionable to go walking around with water, but there is nothing further from the truth. Carrying a reusable bottle full of water has become a hot trend in environmentally conscious cities and should be one in your city. Staying hydrated is essential to your health and a reusable bottle is essential to the world’s health.
6. Keep to the shade whenever possible. There is a huge craze for tanned and bronzed bodies. This may look good when the person is young, but the tans will turn to crinkled skin in time. Not only will sticking to the shade help you feel cooler, but it will also help to keep your skin young. If you are going to go into the sun, consider wearing a sun block, even if it is just for a quick walk to the coffee shop.
7. Enjoy a frozen beverage. Everyone knows that ice is cold. A cold coffee or frappachino is a great way to beat the heat and enjoy a flavored beverage. Have one with friends and combine a great beverage with great company. Enjoy the summer and have fun. That’s what the summer is all about, right?