Winter is a beautiful, if freezing time of year. This cold time of year requires some additional bundling up to help prevent you from getting cold, and keep you looking stylish. There are many different coats on the market, and it is through the use of the coat that you can change your shape, look thinner and leaner, while still staying warm and dry.
This year, there is a big push towards the military style coats. These coats are often double breasted, making it unlikely that the cold air is going to seep through. They are also made of thick and rich wool, ideal for those bitter cold winter days. The military coat is loosely based off the coats worn in the military and are being pursued by fashionistas the country over.
The military coat has the benefit of a belt. This belt helps to pull the coat together at the waist, creating an hourglass appearance. The double breasted coat also helps to bring more emphasis to the top of the body, pulling the eye away from areas that might be more troublesome. When looking at coats, there are some things to look for, and these things will help to ensure you get the coat that works best for you, not just what is the hottest coat for this winter season.
- Think about how warm you are going to need to be. If you live in Florida or Texas, you will not need the heavy winter coats that people in Maine will need. This is simply because the winter temperatures do not normally go that low in the southern states while the northern states can remain at sub-zero temperatures for quite a while.
- Buy a coat that fits you. Do not purchase a coat that is too small, as this will make you appear bigger than you are. Do not purchase a coat that is too big, this will not make you appear smaller, just shapeless. Plus too big of a coat will not keep you as warm as a coat that actually fits you.
- Buy a coat that fits your body. Long trench coats should not be worn by short women. These coats will make the woman look even shorter. Instead, short women should wear jackets that fall mid thigh. Tall women can wear the long trench coats. Pea-coats look great on just about all women. Fluffy coats should be limited to the small and petite women, as should wraps. The double button jackets, they tend to float away from the body, working well for women with a little bit to hide.
- Wear a belt with your coat. A belt around the waist over a coat can help to create that hour glass look. When tying the belt, attach it to the narrowest part of your body, be it under the bust or at the natural waist. This belt can either contrast or match the jacket depending upon how it looks on you.
- Buy quality winter coats. Purchasing a quality winter coat, one that is designed for the actual winter, not just as a canvas for a logo, can greatly increase your satisfaction. Winter is a harsh season. A coat that is not properly made will not last the entire winter season.
- Buy accessories that match well with the coat. This includes gloves, hats and scarves. Tucking yourself into the coat is unattractive for even the most beautiful of women. Instead, you should be able to be comfortable in your coat and these accessories help you to be comfortable.
- Always try the coat on before you purchase it. Take a look at it and try on several different styles of jacket. After trying all these winter coats on, pick the one that looked the best on you. Remember to think on the lines of shape and color, as well as temperature appropriate.